Monday, January 4, 2010

Enough About Me, Let's Talk About M*yoUNI

Ok, so I made it through the holiday without having to endure any major disasters as long as you don't include sleep deprivation as seriously life altering. So I'm back in SF and already behind on updating this blog as much as I initially intended, which means it could ultimately be headed down the path as many of my other grand (and especially not-so-grand) enterprises have ended - so I suppose the arbitrarily chosen name of this blog might be a little more fitting than I may have predicted.
Anyhoo, blahblehhoo....
Ultimately I'd like these entries to amalgamate into some sort of reaction/response to my still nubile yet maturing life in San Francisco and hopefully some people will eventual be able to relate. Or I come to a groundbreaking self-realization - which is much less likely to happen. So without further ado I ought to get to discussing yet another ordinary life amongst many:

-------------------

My experiences with public transportation in this city have really began to evolve since my arrival in late 2008. While I used to strictly take the bus I had really limited myself to just the few lines that I was particularly familiar (6 Parnasus, 71 Haight, 22 Fillmore, etc.). All in all it was probably no more than five or six routes, which might I add was significantly more knowledge than quite a few of the acquaintences I have here.
As probably most people who grace MUNI, I was often simultaneously thrilled and appalled with the service, and uncanny atmosphere that would undoubtedly be experienced upon any expedition. Jam packed hallways on wheels hurtling, crawling or jerking through the causeways with the crusty diseased masses who apparently have no shame whatsoever and truly do not mind proudly broadcasting at audible levels that would be considered noisy in a crowded bar.
Don't get me wrong here, I was truly delighted with this new aspect of my city life. I considered it as sort of a merit badge, especially when I could get through a rigorously long bacteria-enduring escapade.
The point is, when I moved down the hill from the Upper Haight to the Lower Haight I was finally able to discover the ultimate convenience in SF-wide public transportation which is the MUNI Metro lines. That move placed me coveniently close to the Duboce/Church stop and since climbing onto a bus in San Francisco is quickly becoming more and more of a rare activity of mine. It now only takes me 10-15 minutes to get to and from work and or downtown. The trains are much cleaner and often (if you don't count the morning rush) less crowded. It even seems that the people that ride the trains tend to be somewhat more sane. Believe me there are still a fair share of nuts on the train, but the calibre of crazy you get on the train is completely incomparable to those lunatics on the bus.
I know that MUNI is something people in this city like to gripe, but honestly in my personal experiences compared to other metropolitan public transit systems MUNI is still at the top of the list of affordability, access, reach, and efficiency. Sure it may be millenia behind the transit systems in Europe, but in a way the flaws give MUNI character and are an important factor in the collective consciousness of this city.
Now as not to ramble, I'll take my leave of this post and promise to try and be a little less pompous, and a little more concise for future posts. And I'm certain there will plenty of opportunity for me to amend any statements I may have made about MUNI here.

No comments:

Post a Comment